There are no official sign-ups for this swap - just bring it to the retreat and you'll come home with one! The exchange is random so you are not making the mini for anyone specific. We may do a fun activity to swap.
- You will make a mini quilt that is 15" square (it's okay if it's a half an inch larger or smaller - don't worry- but try to keep it close).
- The theme is Scrappy + Solids. Your quilt should use both scraps and solid fabrics (your scraps can be solids too!). AND it must incorporate at least one of these modern aesthetics: improvisational piecing, substantial negative space, and/or bold, graphic design. This means traditional quilt blocks don't qualify unless you either: piece them wonky using improv, add significant negative space (maybe make the block(s) tiny?), or use the block(s) in a particularly graphic, modern way (like say drunkard's path making a circle). The colors are up to you and scrappy doesn't mean it has to be rainbow.
- Use your imagination! Get creative! Challenge yourself! Make something you would LOVE to keep yourself - then you know someone else will love it, too. For inspiration, you can visit this Pinterest board: scrappy + solids mini quilt
- Use your own fabric to make this swap item.
- It must be quilted and bounded.
- It must have a label on the back so your recipient can find you and thank you! It can say something as simple as "Made by (your name)", and if you want, you can commemorate the event ("Mid-Atlantic Mod Swap 2019").
- It must have corner pockets for hanging on the top corners of the back. A small board will be provided already cut to size so when you go home all you have to do is stick a command strip on the back and you’re ready to hang! This is a video tutorial on how to make the pockets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEJBiRh6zWY They are added before you bind the quilt. Please use 4” squares to make your pockets. Again, you do NOT need to bring a yardstick or board to hang it. We will provide these.
- You can make anything you want, keeping with the theme, but please keep in mind that this is a MODERN quilting retreat. For example, no appliqued baskets of flowers, lace applique, Sunbonnet Sue, etc. If modern's not your style, we still love you, but we request that you either challenge yourself to make a modern quilt or sit this one out.
- Please bring the quilt in a paper bag so it is not visible and withoutyour name on the outside. You can post pictures of your mini on Instagram/Facebook/your blog before the swap (tag them with #midatlanticmod), We will swap the bags they are in so everyone is surprised when opening them.